Definition of Alkaline phosphatase
Alkaline phosphatase: An enzyme that liberates phosphate under alkaline conditions and is made in liver, bone, and other tissues. Alkaline phosphatase can be measured in a routine blood test. Abnormally high serum levels of alkaline phosphatase may indicate bone disease, liver disease, or bile duct obstruction.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu