Definition of Kneecap
Kneecap: The patella, the small bone in the front of the knee. The patella is a little (sesamoid) bone, embedded in the tendon of insertion of the quadriceps muscle. If the patella is shattered beyond repair, it can be removed in an operation called a patellectomy and sometimes replaced with prosthetic material.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication