Definition of Gynecoid pelvis
Gynecoid pelvis: The gynecoid pelvis is one that is generally characteristic of a woman in its bone structure and therefore its shape. Gynecoid means like a woman, womanly, female.
The gynecoid pelvis is more delicate, wider than, and not as high as the male pelvis. The angle of the female pubic arch is wide and round. The female sacrum is wider than the male's and the iliac bone is flatter. The pelvic basin of the female is more spacious and less funnel-shaped.
From a purely anatomic viewpoint, the female pelvis is better suited to accommodate the fetus during pregnancy and permit the baby to be born.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- Guide: Top Ways to Get Fit and Make Your Sex Life Sizzle
- Learn How to Treat and Conceal Cold Sores
- Emergency Contraception FAQ
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?