Definition of Joint, ankle
Joint, ankle: A joint that is composed of three bones: the tibia, the fibula, and the talus. The ankle joint is responsible for the up-and-down motion of the foot. The subtalar joint is under the ankle joint, and it consists of the talus on top and calcaneus on the bottom. The subtalar joint is responsible for the side-to-side motion of the foot.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/30/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
- What to Expect During Surgery
- Treating OA: Should You Give Injectables a Shot?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication