Definition of Chorioangioma, placental
Chorioangioma, placental: A benign tumor of a blood vessel in the placenta. Large chorioangiomas can cause complications, including excess amniotic fluid (polyhydramnios), maternal and fetal clotting problems (coagulopathies), premature delivery, toxemia, fetal heart failure, and hydrops (excess fluid) affecting the fetus. Chorioangiomas probably act as shunts between arteries and veins (arteriovenous shunts), leading to progressive heart failure of the fetus.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?