Definition of Alopecia, traumatic
Alopecia, traumatic: Hair loss caused by injury to the scalp. Common causes include the use of caustic hair straighteners, especially those that include lye as an ingredient; stress traction injury from tight rollers and braiding; overheating of the hair shafts; and compulsive pulling out of hair (trichotillomania).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 3/19/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Men's Health Resources
- Could I Have Binge Eating Disorder?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Do Baseball Caps Cause Baldness?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication