Definition of Mesenteric vein
Mesenteric vein: One of the large veins which return blood from the intestines.
The inferior (lower) mesenteric vein empties into the splenic vein. The superior (upper) mesenteric vein then joins the splenic vein to create the portal vein which goes to the liver.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu