Definition of Mesenteric vein
Mesenteric vein: One of the large veins which return blood from the intestines.
The inferior (lower) mesenteric vein empties into the splenic vein. The superior (upper) mesenteric vein then joins the splenic vein to create the portal vein which goes to the liver.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Medical Dictionary Definitions A - Z
Search Medical Dictionary
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?