Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer.
For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Stage 3b survivor here after almost six years. Classic case of delayed diagnosis, as I was having irregular period problems and saw my gynecologist several times during the 8 months before diagnosis! By that time, I had a huge malignant tumor mass. My amazing surgeon had to remove my ovaries, uterus and cervix along with a lot of surrounding tissue. However, I remained "studded" with tumors on my bladder, colon and other areas, but thankfully they found nothing in my lower body lymph nodes (those that were sampled). Chemotheraphy sucks but it was worth it, because here I am after 6 years, alive and apparently healthy, and my advice is ... if you're reading this, you suspect or know you have cancer, or somehow related to someone who does. Go to your doctor! Get a complete physical and if you're in the prolonged "problems with period" stage, demand the CA 123 tumor marker test and an ultrasound! It might save your life. FYI, I am extremely grateful for the wonderful doctors I have, they saved me from certain death. I have no idea how many more years I have, the odds aren't good for long term, but I've beat them so far and I'm going to keep kicking it! Hope this helps someone. .

I had ovarian cancer eight years ago and had a hysterectomy, appendectomy, and omentumectomy, followed by chemotherapy. My initial symptoms were very strange, firstly with altered taste and smell. I was uanable to eat because everything tasted so vile and altered. I lost 8 stone and slowly deteriorated over several weeks. I ended up practically bedridden by weakness. Many tests for stomach bugs were all futile. I eventually got so weak I told my GP I thought I was dying. He palpated my abdomen and found a large mass. Within two weeks, I was in the hospital and feeling much better. The cancer was encapsulated in a very large football-size cyst, which was removed successfully. Six months of chemo followed, with regular nonevasive check-ups. It is all just a memory now. .