Prostate Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Prostate Cancer.
The symptoms of prostate cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

This is a warning to all prostate cancer sufferers. I was diagnosed with noninvasive prostate cancer in 2014. I was given 3 options for the cancer and the best treatment option was given to me. The options were removal, radiotherapy, or brachytherapy, which if chosen would set me back personally around USD 15000. I decided on the third option as it was made out to be the discovery of the century. We sold off a lot of items to raise the money for the procedure. What a bad decision! I had the procedure, paid my money up front, and since then my life has been ruined by this treatment. First I had to use a catheter for 7 months, 4 times a day, then I went down for a cystoscopy, and contracted a dangerous bug in my bladder that went to my blood stream. The next day I went down, actually died, as my breathing stopped due to collapsed lungs. Lucky my son lives two streets from a hospital, as I was pronounced dead on arrival, as my lungs and heart had stopped from the effects of the bug. Since then I have been hospitalized, with a recurrence of the same bug. And I have just been diagnosed with a wrecked bladder and wrecked urethra, all due to this brachytherapy radiation. So people, be very careful if ever offered that option. They never warned me of the after effects, just the good things. I hope this helps someone, even one person from that awful treatment..

My 85 year old father has been battling prostate cancer for a couple years now. He has gone through radiation and chemo treatments. We have been told the cancer has spread and his PSA is 1600. When he was doing the treatments they also had him on a number of meds from antidepressants to pain pills and many others. He was totally out of his mind and very abusive, wouldn't eat and they sent him home and we have been on Hospice for the last couple of months. Up until all the treatment and drugs, my father was very sharp and just last summer he was mowing his own 6.5 acres of grass. He is now bed ridden cannot support his own weight of 140 lbs. and he is 6' 3". Once we brought him home and stopped all the drugs he got his mind back and he started eating and getting better over all. Three times now he has been back to the hospital and into the same routine of being loaded up with drugs, losing his mind and then coming home. Just last week he started bleeding very bad through his catheter. The clots were so bad they plugged up his catheter and we ended up taking him back to the hospital. My wife has had a lot of bladder infections and this is what it looked like to us. The hospital put him on antibiotics and within hours the bleeding stopped which is how a bladder infection acts. They have kept him in the hospital and put him on pain killers and antidepressants again and they have given him blood transfusions of 4 pints. He has been in no pain at all, but they continue with the pain medications and he goes absolutely crazy. They have done no x rays, but the doctors say the bleeding is the cancer from the prostate. .