Sty - Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye).
Have you tried a self-care remedy for sty that worked?

I'm 20 years old and I've dealt with stys my whole life. My mom and sister and aunt get them all the time. Thankfully for me they are never bad. I get recurring ones on my right eye tear duct. Usually it's a small amount of swelling but noticeable. It blurs my vision slightly in that eye and it always itches like crazy. I've never been to a doctor for it my mom has always just had me put a hot wash rag on it every few hours and it goes away within a few days. Don't scratch it!! It'll itch and itch but you can risk getting it more infected, instead lightly wipe a warm wet rag on top of your eye and hold it there. It'll feel much better..

Published: April 23

I am 62 years old. When I was a child and got a stye, by mother would hand me her gold wedding ring. I would sit on the couch and watch TV or read while holding the ring against the stye. It would stop hurting, I'd get tired of sitting, give her ring back and run out to play. The end. Anytime I (or my kids or anyone I know) start to get a stye, I use the ring remedy on the stye. Doing it for over 50 years now and it always works!.