Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores.
Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

I get them occassionally, and I will swear by Abreeva especially if you attack it with the stuff right away, the second you feel that tingle/sensation. I'm practically running to the store. I found someone's comment on the internet about applying ice for 15 minutes at a time (the cold inhibits the virus). That was a miracle!!! The cycle of the cold sore was SOOO much quicker. 2-3 days and it was gone!!! Try it out, best of luck!.

I began getting cold sores when I was 11. Middle school was not fun for me. I have had up to 4 at a time on my upper lip, in my nose, below my nose, lower lip, below my lower lip. I get them about every three months. They start as a tingling, burning, itching, or feel numb. Then the small blisters appear; the skin with blisters on it will die and become a painful sore, the sore scabs over and slowly heals, splitting open as I eat, smile, etc. From blisters to heal the shortest time I have experienced is 5 days using Abreva, washing the area with soap and re-applying after meals and any chance I get. Stress, sun, caffeine, nicotine, illness, and irritation to the area, are all causes. Keeping the area dry and clean and using Abreva is the best at speeding up the process. I have had some success with a cold compress, and relaxation / visualization exercises. A healthy diet and exercise as well as two B-100 complex vitamins daily has reduced the outbreaks by half. .