Barium Swallow - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Barium Swallow.
Please describe your experience with barium swallow.

Published: March 18

I had a barium swallow last week. The test took about 15 minutes and was painless. The drink didn’t taste as bad as I thought it would and I didn’t feel sick afterwards. The worst thing was the constipation which lasted for a week so I would just advise anybody to have something in place from the pharmacy to help with the constipation..

I had a barium swallow and that night stomach pain on the right side. Two days later the pain is so severe with constipation. They should tell you what could happen and give you follow up on what to do. There is still barium in my stool. The pain is like pancreatitis. Hopefully it will go away in the morning. Of course tomorrow it is Sunday and no doctor appointments will be available. So emergency room is my only alternative..