Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cervical Cancer.
Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Published: April 06

I went for regular pap-smears since I was 18. I was told I had cervical cancer when I was 45. I had cervical changes two years prior and had a freezing of the cervix. My doctor thought that he took care of it, but it came back years later. I had glandular cervical cancer, which is inside the cervix, not on the outside. My doctor said it is rarer than the other. Well, I had a hysterectomy six months later. I’m thankful I had two children already so that wasn’t an issue. Now I’m three years in the clear. You never know. I've also been married for 18 years and then I was told I had HPV. So girls, keep on getting checked. It saved my life! .

I had always been very careful about having regular, annual GYN check-ups. So it was in December that my doctor told me I had an irregular pap test result which indicated precancerous cells (stage II) were present. I knew from previous pelvic exams that I had apparently been born with a 'cervical lesion'. This had a tendency to cause infrequent, mild infections requiring antibiotics 2-3x’s over a 10 year span. However, when I returned for a second pap test in February the cervical cancer had advanced to stage IV cancer. They initially did two cryogenic fezzes if the area which did not stop the cell growth. I also required a more radical procedure, punch biopsy to remove all cancerous cells surrounding the opening of my cervix. Thankfully, this treatment has produced normal pap tests ever since. On another note, I did not have any medical coverage at that time and the hospital provided full coverage under their "uncompensated medical services” policy. I believe all hospitals have some funds set aside for just such cases, but one must simply inquire (insist!) and fill-out appropriate forms. I urge all women to get regular pap tests. It could save your life. .