Fire Coral Cuts and Stings - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scuba Diving: Fire Coral Cuts.
Please describe your experience with fire coral cuts and stings.

I was snorkeling on the west coast of Florida in about 6 feet of water. I am familiar with fire coral as I have been diving for many years. However, even though I saw and avoided touching the fire coral directly some small fish hit me in the neck as their school was swimming by me. I believe the toxin was transmitted from the fish onto my neck. Ouch! This bothered me for a week and itched like crazy..

I was snorkeling in Riviera Maya, Mexico in shallow water in a reef. A wave smashed me into some fire coral. It feels like a burn and I have the actual imprint of the coral on my hip. I was told to rub sand into the burn or it would itch and burn for two weeks. I did not follow this advice. I did spend a lot of time in salt water, which I think helped. It is true that fresh water will make it burn again. It has been about four to five days since and I haven't felt itching yet. I haven't treated it with anything other than salt water. .