Mouth and Throat Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cancer of the Mouth and Throat.
What are the symptoms of your mouth and throat cancer?

I noticed that my throat was sore on one side. It didn't bother me much. Some days I didn't even feel it. I ignored it. I am not one to go to the doctor for a minor sore throat! After a month or two had passed with no change, I noticed a strange numbness on the side of my head and at the same time a painless swelling in my neck. My daughter pushed me to see a doctor. Yesterday they confirmed it to be squamous cell carcinoma. I am in shock! Of course, I now wish I'd gone to see the doctor! The side effects of the treatment look awful, but it is better than the alternative. Wish me strength as I do for you..

Months ago I was noticing a white patch on my tongue. Being too busy I dismissed it as something my inhalers did from asthma. When my tongue started to feel irritated I went to an ENT Doctor (ear, nose and throat). I was pawned off to her assistant who treated me for thrush for a month. Finally, I insisted on seeing the actual doctor who upon first sight of my tongue suggested a biopsy from a good hospital. I called the hospital and couldn't get an appointment for a month. Finally, two days after a painful biopsy I was told I had squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) in my mouth. I'm looking at losing close to half my tongue to surgery because I had bad medical treatment. Let's face it. The earlier you catch cancer the better the outcome will be. Needless to say if you look in your mouth and your tongue looks questionable go to an oral surgeon and have a biopsy ASAP. Good Health to all..