Small-Cell Lung Cancer - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Small-Cell Lung Cancer.
What was the treatment for your small-cell lung cancer?

My treatment for small-cell lung cancer consisted of radiation and chemotherapy; at the same time 2 different chemotherapies, 3 days on 19 days off, radiation 33 days straight (weekends off). My doctor was very intuitive, and would always schedule me for hydration for at least a week if not more after chemotherapy. I also had PCI (prophylactic cranial irradiation) brain radiation after treatment was over. I credit my pulmonary doctor, my oncologist, and my radiologist oncologist with my survival, also all the technicians that treated me. It is 3 years now since my diagnosis..

My father, 87, is in the final stage of small-cell lung cancer. He is in hospice. He can still get up and move around and is not on oxygen, but he is thin and weak and can't speak or write. He is not in pain. He smoked for 44 years, but quit at 60. His symptoms began earlier this year, and we thought it was bronchitis, which he has had many times in the past. Hoarseness was his first symptom. Antibiotics did not work. Then, he had fluid on the lung, and he went to a pulmonary specialist, who tested a sample of the fluid and found cancer cells. Then, he saw an oncologist who had tests done and found small-cell lung cancer extensive, with tumors on the liver. The brain was clear. We tried chemotherapy, but he did not react well to it and opted to not do more chemotherapy. His advanced age makes this disease difficult to fight..