Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bladder Cancer.
What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

As a 76 year old male, I was diagnosed with bladder tumors at age 60. For the past 16 years, my urologist has been alternating between quarterly cystoscopies and surgeries to remove the tumors. A year ago, he was removing 8 or 9 tumors per surgery. It had reached a stage where he felt it was time to consider BCG treatment. Then, unexpectedly, 2 weeks after surgery, I had a heart attack, requiring a quad bypass. On leaving hospital, I was given a totally new regimen. Drop the daily multi-vitamins. Take (among other drugs), Crestor 20mg(actually Rosuvastatin) and enteric aspirin 325mg. In June this year, my next checkup revealed only 1 small spot. Today (October), my checkup revealed no trace of any spots or tumors, completely clear! Apparently aspirin and many satins have a beneficial anti-carcinogen quality. Hope this helps someone!.

The surgeon wanted to completely remove the bladder, prostate and lymph nodes. I declined, and the cancer was treated by transurethral resection, in October of 2009. After 6 weeks of recovery, follow-up treatment was 6 weeks of Cisplatin, and 35 radiation treatments, taken simultaneously. No further treatment was given. Exam by cystoscopy at 3-month intervals, and FISH and other urinalyses confirm no cancer cells present as of today, one year later. Bladder is functioning normally, and no after-effects of the bladder operation are evident. However, after-effects of the chemo and radiation include exhaustion, anemia and rheumatoid arthritis due mostly to disturbance of the immune system by the radiation. The arthritis was severe for at least two months, requiring Vicodin, for a while, but is receding, treated only by over-the-counter medications, (ibuprofen and acetaminophen). One year after the initial operation, I am getting some strength back, and am able to walk non-stop for about 2 miles, and sometimes more. Based on my experience, I would say that, if at all possible, ask your surgeon to try transurethral resection, rather than complete bladder removal..