Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Myeloma.
The symptoms of multiple myeloma can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I got a slight cut during wet shaving. It would not stop bleeding for quite some time. I went to the doctor who advised a full blood test. Results came back with high paraproteins. Bone marrow biopsy confirmed type M multiple myeloma. I did not have any other symptoms. Now after thalidomide treatment and a stem cell transplant I am in remission, and have been so for two years. I am on a myeloma 11 trial until I relapse..

Published: April 21

My mom was 79 when she died. She went into the hospital on a Friday and died the following Wednesday. She was diagnosed on that Saturday of advanced multiple myeloma cancer, because of elevated calcium in the blood stream, and low blood count, and health was not good we were told nothing could be done. Prior to this, unknown she was battling with cancer, she was suffering from sinus infection that would not go away, headaches, knee problems, and eventually was having back pain for 3 or 4 weeks, which became very severe (nerve block was done, followed by hair-line fracture which was cemented, other fracture was found). While in the hospital it was found out that her brother also died of multiple myeloma cancer, which also began with back problems, suffered for seven years (radiation/chemotherapy), nothing worked, and died when he was 63..