Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?

I have P.T.S.D. I have been told I have this severe. As a child I was beaten and sexually abused. Into my adolescent years this type of abuse continued along with death threats from my mother. My 17 birthday I joined the Navy turned into such a drunk was no use to them. Drugs and prison followed. At 37 I got out of prison for the last time and sought treatment. I am 44 on methadone engage in two psychotherapy mtg's a week. Life is good I’m clean and have hope..

In 2001 I had an electrical injury! 440 volts for over a minute! The only thing that saved me was the passing of the voltage in through the hand and out the back of the knuckle! All this time I suffered tremendous torture! Over the years my hyper vigilance grew yet I never realized how bad off I was! In 2007 I had a severe flashback that set me back! The hyper vigilance in many situations made me more accident prone! June2008 I sought immediate help! 3 years of psychotic drugs to tell the medical profession exactly what I told them in 2007! Now on Workers Compensation! Given a monetary settlement and $ months to get better! Physically I am 100%! Mentally I am a different level! Money cannot buy mental health! Yes things are improving but the trauma I suffered like so many others cannot be measured! There are times when I feel I'd be better off dead! .