Ankle Sprain - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ankle Sprain.
How was your ankle sprain diagnosed?

(Optional)

I twisted my ankle early one evening and didn't think too much of it when the pain worked out of it as I kept walking. Hours later I started having excruciating pain that ice did nothing for; I couldn't put weight on it. Ended up in the emergency room and got a diagnosis of an ankle sprain. Never knew a sprain could cause that much pain. Also never knew that the pain might not start till much later than what caused it..

Well for my age it may seem a bit funny. I sprain my ankle while roller skating with my granddaughter. I was braking to avoid a fallen kid, when one leg went one way (out front), while the other leg went sideways behind me. I know for a fact this did not look good. My right foot was flat on the floor behind me. Right away I could not get up. Six weeks later, from the knee down is still swollen..