Hepatitis C - Transmission

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C.
If known, how did you contract hepatitis C?

I was married for 23 years and then divorced. It has been 6 years since my divorce and my ex and I were friends, not sex friends, just friends. Well, he recently died of sepsis. He let some street girl give him a tattoo on his hand and it got infected. He just ignored it so by the time he went to the emergency room for help it was too late and the infection spread through his blood. I had no idea he had hepatitis C. I knew he had diabetes but not hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. So his liver and kidneys were not strong enough to fight the infection so he became septic and died. What a horrible way to die! So I decided to get checked and sure enough I am infected with hepatitis C virus. I have never been so scared in my life. I have always been healthy. I am just sick about the whole mess..