Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

First I took blood pressure pills that reduced water. My potassium dropped (which I didn’t know at the time). My heart went into SVTs (supraventricular tachycardia). My rate was immeasurable and could best be described as in a flutter. I was given Adenocard to reset my rhythm. I am glad it worked but very scary stuff. This happened 3 times over a month before it was found my potassium was low. I went back on beta blockers, problem solved. I had been sick, and I went into SVT. I stopped at drug store and took some potassium pills, and it cleared right up. I had diarrhea recently, again SVT, again potassium, again ok; so far!.

My symptoms of low potassium are rapid and erratic heartbeat. My heart beat will range from 95 to 130 beats and will change very rapidly, every second. I also experience dizziness. It started about 5 years ago while taking a diuretic. I had an episode today, and I took my potassium medication to stop it. I am also not currently taking diuretics..