Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia).
What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Published: April 14

I thought I was having anxiety attacks. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath even though I was breathing fine. I had pain on the far left side of my chest, it started intermittently but then became constant. I felt like my heart was racing most of the time. If felt similar to indigestion also; a fullness at the level of the diaphragm. I was tired all the time. Just felt terrible. At this point, there is still no discernible cause for my hypokalemia..

Published: March 23

I work as a roustabout in the oil and gas industry and many times find myself not taking breaks with the rest of the crew every 3 hours. That is a great time to rehydrate and or get some vitamins and minerals back into the body that were used up during the working period. Last weekend I didn’t know if I was having a stroke or a heart attack or allergic reaction to something I ate. I woke my boss and the operations crew up early to get me a chopper ride right to the hospital. I was literally scared that I was going to die or wake up in the hospital not being able to speak or move one side of my body. I got to the hospital and after running the tests on my EKG, blood tests etc., the doctor tells me that the only thing he can find wrong was a low potassium level of 3.3. I felt all the symptoms that are listed in this website. We are all afforded the opportunity to eat right and take reasonable breaks. I am not one to visit the doctor unless something happens hence I don’t go in for any once a year health exams. I am going to get annual checkups now and eat much better. I would suggest anybody with similar concerns be diligent in not letting their health slip. We guys don’t need doctors until something happens. It may be too late when it does happen so get checked out once or more times, even if you think it is nothing..