Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe.
Please describe your experience with broken toe.

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal..

I stubbed my little toe on a box and realized it wasn't right when I looked down and it was pointing outwards. The doctor sent me up for an x-ray and I had indeed broken it. I had to have gas and air while they put it back into place which didn't work, so had to have injections to numb it. Now I’ve been strapped up for 5 weeks but hopefully on the mend as it doesn't hurt. So see your doctor if you think it's broken, don't leave it and never strap it up unless seen by a professional first. It could do more harm than good, so the doctor told me..