Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe.
Please describe your experience with broken toe.

Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops..

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal..