Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Toe.
Please describe your experience with Broken Toe.

I was rushing around as usual so as not to be late for work. I was coming out of the bathroom and going into the bedroom to get dressed and I pushed the door shut and somehow, my little left toe got in the way. OUCH. I had already had a fractured small toe a number of years ago. Anyway, I went to work in considerable pain, and at lunchtime, I decided to take a look. It was all bruised, so I went to the emergency room. They did an X-ray, and it was confirmed that the toe was indeed broken. It has been a week now, and even though my doctor signed me off for two weeks, I think I’m going to need more than that. I have to keep strapping it to the next toe. To anyone who suspects a broken toe, my advice is to go straight to the hospital because it will not get any better by treating yourself. To the gentleman with the broken big toe with the ice packs, please either seek medical attention or at least strap that tow to the next one. Otherwise you may suffer permanent pain…even later in life..

About the 2nd week of August, I slammed my right foot into my vacuum cleaner. (I've stubbed toes before, but this I knew was a bad one!) After a few days of pain, both my two little toes turned purple/blue, etc. I tried to keep my feet raised as much as possible but it’s not easy to do that. Then, about a week later, going into my bathroom, (I don't know how I did this, but) I slammed the side of the same foot I think into the door frame, saw stars, and felt myself going down heading for the tub! Put my hands out to prevent a head injury and somehow badly injured my whole leg. I ended up half in tub and half on floor in tears. I stayed there for 15 minutes before I was able to get up. The next day, I iced my toes and the side of my thigh which was completed bruised down to my knee. It is now mid-October. Today is the 14th and today is the first time I could put on a sneaker without it killing my toe! It still hurts though when I do any kind of walking except when I wear open flip-flops. The bruising/discoloration has gone away on the toe and my thigh. But there is a spot on my thigh also that still hurts if I tough it or lay on my side..