Pleurisy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy.
What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

I got my flu shot at the end of November, and roughly two weeks later, an interpreter showed up with a very bad cold. That happened right around finals, and I became very sick a couple of days later. I think I got the flu, because it felt like a severe cold. I was sick off and on since then, and I woke up Wednesday morning feeling like everything I breathed was cold, dry air, and I was hugging the walls. I also had a fever off and on, and I had chest pain. I went to the emergency room that evening, and I got admitted to the hospital to rule out heart problems. Due to my age (60), the doctors wanted to make sure I did not have heart problems. My primary care doctor suspected I had pleurisy because my heart tests had been normal. While she was visiting me, I coughed up blood. I was in the hospital for two days. I did not get antibiotics, because she thinks it is a viral infection..

I woke up this morning around 5.30 am and about 45 minutes later, I suddenly had a sharp stabbing pain on my left chest area. I thought I was having a heart attack as the pain was unreal. I was relieved that it turned out to be pleurisy, rather than a heart attack, but the pain is almost intolerable..