Pleurisy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy.
What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Published: March 24

My first symptom of pleurisy was a burning pain in my left shoulder and, at the same time, a severe pain down the left side of my chest. I felt a slight inability to breathe deeply, but not severe. When I finally felt that this might be a heart attack and went to the doctor (after 2 days) I was told that I had a severe case of pneumonia and pleurisy. I was not hospitalized, but treated at home with an antibiotic, the generic for Levaquin, pain medication, liquids and a lot of rest. I am still recovering as I write this..

Published: March 11

I got pleurisy for the first time when I was 21. I'm not a cigarette smoker. At first I got a really sharp pain on my left shoulder and breast bone. I thought I had just pulled a muscle or strained it since I work out regularly. I waited it out a few days and the pain got worse. I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they gave me Dilaudid, the pain was that bad. I think having it once made me more susceptible to getting it again because I'm feeling the same symptoms. Just hard to tell with me because it might be a pulled muscle..