Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism.
Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

At age 77 I had a pulmonary embolism (PE) while resting in my recliner. I was fairly active walking my large dog 2 times a day, and had not traveled in over 2 years. Hospital stay was 3 days, I was put on heparin, then Coumadin. Doctor tried warfarin but it made me really sick. It caused a very painful swollen upper right of abdomen. I stayed on Coumadin for 6 months. After 10 days I was able to walk the dog again and drive short distances. I see both heart and lung specialists once a year and all seems to be fine. From reading other blogs I see that I am not your typical PE patient..

After a long bike ride (3 days, 100 km per day at 80 degrees) I got shortness of breath. It is 1 year out with a pulmonologist since finding the pulmonary embolism, doing Symbicort, 2 inhales BID, warfarin 7.5 mg SID. I have plateaued with treatment. I am reasonably functional, can ride 100 km, needing 1 hit of albuterol after 40 miles. I was told I've got asthma and COPD, but am 'insensitive to obstruction'. I am grossly dissatisfied with treatment results, but maybe I'm just old. I am currently on short term prednisone at 20 mg SID for 4 days, then 10 mg SID for 4 more days. Expiratory force monitor is 300 first thing in the morning and then goes to maybe 400 midday..