Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bursitis.
Please describe your experience with bursitis.

I have had recurrent bursitis (usually in one shoulder or hip) for nearly 20 years. It always occurs when I overwork a joint (particularly with repetitive movements, or sitting for long periods in one position) and some foods can help trigger an episode (dairy, wheat, yeast and red meats). Cold weather can also be a factor, though damp isn't. The initial pain is severe in the joint, and sometimes I have a general inflammatory illness for a few days (like the flu). I have found the best way to treat it is by complete rest until the inflammation subsides, then starting movements gradually. The most helpful is daily qigong, which keeps my joints mobile and usually pain-free, and also improves my spirits. I find mindfulness meditation also very helpful with the anxiety and mood swings which can accompany any chronic illness. I hope you also find ways to manage your pain and live a full life..

I went for a massage and the masseuse pulled my leg to one side to stretch it. She did the same procedure to both legs. The next day I had a huge collection of fluid on my hip the size of an orange. They said it was a bursa. No pain, but it is about the same size today as two weeks ago. The ortho MD told me to stop taking the inflammatory given to me in the emergency room and to put ice. He says if it bothers me, he may need to drain it. .