Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bee and Wasp Stings.
Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

I am a 45 year old male, and was sitting at my computer desk emailing when stung by a wasp on my left ankle. The pain was very intense, and the swelling started immediately. I killed the wasp and have it in the freezer in case my wife has to take me to the hospital. I was stung at 11:30 PM, and it's now 2:00 AM, and the pain finally started to recede after putting a penny on the sting site for about 10 minutes (thanks to the person that posted the comment about the penny--it really worked). The penny didn't take the pain completely away, I still have intense pain surges, but not as severe and it (penny) took the constant throbbing pain away. I just put hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin w/pain relief on the bite area--hoping to get SOME sleep tonight. I have been bitten a few times as a younger man and child, and have never had this kind of pain from a wasp sting. I think the poster that commented about the wasp's poison getting stronger was correct, the pain is so much more intense, and not just because I'm older either, as I'm in great physical shape. My breathing is a little ragged now, so I'll lay down after taking some antihistamine medicine. Good luck to any that have this kind of hellish sting..

Yesterday I was out running with my son and two dogs when I felt a horrible sting on my right cheek (not the one on my face.) I turned around and saw a bush I had just run by was swarming with red wasps. I turned around and started back for my home and one wasp followed me. Luckily, it didn't get me. The last sting I had was when I was a kid and I am moderately allergic to these types of stings, so I was scared without a cell phone and a half a mile from my house. As I got closer to home and time progressed, the pain got worse and I was barely able to keep going. My tongue felt swollen, I was getting chills from head to toe, and I could feel the venom spreading down my leg. When I got home, I immediately took Benadryl and waited to see if I would need medical attention. At this point, my chest felt tight, like a rubber band was wrapped around it, making it painful to breathe. Eventually, the Benadryl kicked in and I fell asleep. This morning the site is far less swollen and painful but my tongue still feels somewhat too big for my mouth and my throat is very sore. I appreciate the information on this site although I think there should be more information out there for people who don't go into anaphylactic shock when stung, but do have minor to moderate allergic response to stings. The symptoms are very painful and very scary..