Gout - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout.
For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

My first attack in my pre-google days I could not walk because of severe pain. After extensive reading I hit on the idea that like my late father I had GOUT. I had put myself on a cholesterol lowering diet for several weeks. My main food was delicious home made lentil soup and spinach with cheese. I love sardines and everything heavy in Purines. I immediately went on a diet low in Purines and drunk lots of water. In a few days I was O.K..

I have attacks of gouty arthritis in my left ankle, right leg and right wrist. I have noticed with each attack the area affected is spreading. Where it use to only effect my right ankle it now effects my whole right leg. On the onset of a attack the effected area feels sore, if I take my colchicine right away I can usually stop it from becoming a full attack. Also I learned from my doctor that I need to take my allopurinol as directed when I am not having a attack because a high uric acid level can damage your kidneys. I also learned that dye contrast can initiate a attack..