Staph Infection - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection).
Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Published: June 03

I am the caregiver to my husband, who is fighting pancreatic cancer and heart problems. Two weeks ago I awoke with what I thought was a bite on my torso at my rib cage. When my husband saw it he thought it was a boil, but I put tea tree oil on it and thought it would dry up. In a week it began to drain, with a bloody pus, and eventually dried up. But, two days later, it again filled with pus, turned red and burned. Being Memorial Day weekend, I decided to go to the doctor, instead of suffer for another 4 days. She lanced it and sent a culture off for diagnosis. At that time she put me on Keflex Pulvule 500 MG. The next Tuesday, she emailed me telling me I had Staphylococcus epidermidis and that the Keflex would not work, she was putting me on doxycycline hyclate 100 MG for the next 10 days. I have no idea how I picked this up, but consider myself very lucky I went to the doctor when I did..

Published: June 01

I have had diagnosed staph 3 times. Two were MRSA. First time I was 5, living in Florida. Running around barefoot, I stepped on a sand spur, and next day my foot was swollen, red, and hot to touch and hurt. Third day I had boils on my leg. I was placed in hospital where I was given IV antibiotics and they lanced and drained the boils twice a day. Yes, all 11 boils and cut out the infected area on my arch. Second time was a dog bite on my left hand at age 50. I'm a nurse, so of course I doctored it myself. It happened on a Sunday. By Friday my hand was inflamed, and oozing pus from the two puncture wounds on my hand. I had been soaking in hot water with Clorox added, pouring peroxide on wounds and rubbing antibiotic ointment on, along with oral antibiotic. Didn't help. On my way to work, went by my doctor for oral medicines, she gave me a shot, and sent me to a hand specialist at Urgent Care. They of course decided I should go to emergency department. So I was in hospital for 8 days. I had IV antibiotics, and three hand surgeries to open up and clean wound. Those hand wounds are so painful, and I was on pain medicines round the clock. Finally I got to go home. Third time I received a scratch on my right shin. Two days later I had staph infection. I had oral and ointment antibiotics. But I was wise, finally, I went to the doctor as soon as it developed heat and started oozing. Lo and behold, I am heading to the doctor this afternoon. My dog got me with her tooth when I was starting her IV fluids. Yep, right on my ring finger on right hand. I have been on oral and ointment antibiotics since it happened, but it is starting to get worse. I'm beginning to think some people are more prone to staph infection and MRSA than others and I must be one. I'm a clean person with clean surroundings and a healthy lifestyle..