Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis.
The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

My husband is 57 and found out in 2005 that he had alcoholic liver disease and continued to drink. He started losing strength in his arms around the early part of 2009. During the past four years he had intermittent bouts of jaundice, very dark yellow eyes and skin. His testicles started swelling in April 2009 to the size of a cantaloupe and soon his lower right leg and eventually both legs were swollen very big. I had noticed also, a couple of months before the swelling, his abdomen was getting really big but I just thought he was eating too much. The doctor ordered a CAT scan, which revealed cirrhosis, and the doctor said my husband only had about 10% of his liver left. On June 9, 2009 I had to call 911 because he started having seizures and couldn't stand or walk without having them. He was admitted to ICU and was told that his blood pressure was terribly low and ended up getting a blood transfusion. The next day he started having extreme DT's while in ICU, he was there for one week and was able to come home. He went straight to a 30 day rehab and no longer drinks alcohol. He had done amazingly well since rehab but just last week (Nov. 6th) he has started having hepatic encephalopathy and has been very confused and very short attention span, doing and saying very bizarre things. I understand this is all part of it and I'm trying to get him to take his medication to help get rid of some of the ammonia in his blood. I NEVER had any idea that alcohol damaged so much of your body. It has made a non-drinker out of me and hopefully our 15 year old son. .

I'm 44 and have been a heavy drinker since my teens. About a year ago I began gaining weight in my mid section. I've always been thin but never blessed with a waist. I just attributed my new belly with mid-age spread and went up a size in pants. This Spring I began having problems with my bowels, cramping, bloating. With all of the new products, and extensive advertising promising to cure such problems, I went the home remedy route... Needless to say, June 26th I couldn't take it anymore and went to the doctor whom immediately sent me to the E.R. There I experienced the joy of having my abdomen tapped and drained. Luckily I was able to go home the next day to continue treatment. I was your typical hard core girl. Work hard play hard. Thought as long as I was maintaining my house, family and finances everything was o.k., never knowing my liver was being damaged beyond repair. Right now I'm on a restricted salt/high protein diet. Diuretics daily(one helps maintain potassium) Next week they scope my esophagus to my intestines, looking for possible bleeders, that they will band if necessary or start me on a prescription of beta blockers to reduce pressure in those veins. Hopefully I won't have to do either. This is my future, something I will forever have to be mindful of if I choose to enjoy the rest of my life. Did I ever expect to do it without a cold beer in my hand? No. But, perhaps if I hadn't ever done it, that delicious cold Bud Light wouldn't just be a memory. .