Osteoporosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis.
The symptoms of osteoporosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I am a 39 year old woman that followed a vegan diet for two years, I began jogging for about a month and broke my foot in three places, it had been about a month and a half and I am still not feeling well (with my foot) the foot doctor wants me to get a bone density scan, it makes me wonder if my diet is to blame. Now I am having soreness in my other foot, I am very scared I have bone problems. My doc says he has never seen a foot fracture of the heel at my age from just running! Osteoporosis does not run in my family..

I have just been diagnosed with osteo of the spine, which surprised me as I worked alone in my landscaping business for 25 years heavy lifting and long hours didn't bother me. I never was big on milk or calcium tabs as they made me sick, but I love yogurt and cheese. I breast fed my 2 kids til 2 years old. I'm a non-smoker, lite coffee and wine drinker. My mother has rheumatoid and osteo and 1 sister with osteo. I had a hysterectomy (fibroids) and colon cancer (no chemo), both situations caused anemia and both required blood transfusions. I would like to know if anemia played a larger roll in this than genetics..