Liver Blood Tests - Experience with Elevated Levels

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Blood Tests.
If your AST or ALT blood levels were elevated at one time or now, please share your experience with diagnosis of the cause and treatments.

Published: June 17

I had a scarred liver from my early 20s, right after a bad date in the 1970s. In the late 1990s I received treatment for autoimmune hepatitis. At first the steroid treatment reduced the scarring. But then one day my doctor looked troubled. The scarring had changed direction. In 2002 I was downsized and my treatment stopped. I was unemployed and stayed home. In 2004 I started a different job until I injured my arm in 2007. Then I really stayed home. I did nothing but eat and sleep for six years. In April 2013 my liver was normal again. I feel that rest had everything to do with it. I started working again, and my electrolytes are up again..