Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Raynaud Phenomenon.
Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

I had Raynaud’s phenomenon and chilblains about 50 years ago with nothing occurring since even when I was outside in below zero weather. Yesterday my hands suddenly went glossy bright red. I did not connect the two but later found out it was Raynaud’s. So odd after 50 years of no symptoms..

I am 24 and I live in Kentucky. I was diagnosed with Raynaud's when I was 16, and was told that there was nothing that I could do but live with it and try to stay warm. What people didn't understand is that it could be nearly 100 degrees F. outside and my fingers and toes would still freeze. It is the most miserable feeling in the world to be cold and in pain all the time and there is nothing you can do about it but sit and wait for it to go away. Luckily, when I got married in September, my insurance changed and I had to find a new doctor. How lucky was it that the provider I chose had written a thesis in college about Raynaud's phenomenon! She prescribed "Nifedipine" for me and I rarely have any problems anymore. The only side effects that I have found is that my heart races for a few moments after it kicks in and sometimes I get leg cramps. I still have symptoms, but only a few times a week compared to the 10 times a day before I started the medication. My life has almost done a complete 180!.