Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Raynaud Phenomenon.
Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

I am 24 and I live in Kentucky. I was diagnosed with Raynaud's when I was 16, and was told that there was nothing that I could do but live with it and try to stay warm. What people didn't understand is that it could be nearly 100 degrees F. outside and my fingers and toes would still freeze. It is the most miserable feeling in the world to be cold and in pain all the time and there is nothing you can do about it but sit and wait for it to go away. Luckily, when I got married in September, my insurance changed and I had to find a new doctor. How lucky was it that the provider I chose had written a thesis in college about Raynaud's phenomenon! She prescribed "Nifedipine" for me and I rarely have any problems anymore. The only side effects that I have found is that my heart races for a few moments after it kicks in and sometimes I get leg cramps. I still have symptoms, but only a few times a week compared to the 10 times a day before I started the medication. My life has almost done a complete 180!.

I have experienced Raynaud's syndrome for 35 years. I lived in Chicago and constantly had frostbitten hands and feet. I moved to Arizona 18 1/2 years ago for a warmer climate and the attacks are less frequent. But I've also experienced heat exhaustion for 35 years as well. I would mow the lawn in Chicago and faint. I collapsed at a sports stadium here and the medic on duty told me that Raynaud's attacks occur with heat. I cannot be outside for longer than 10 minutes at a time in hot weather. The doctor also said that my "heating and cooling system was faulty" and that if I didn't stop the heat exhaustion, I would probably have a heat-stroke and maybe die. Now I'm careful with cold and hot temperatures. My dermatologist told me Raynaud's is an immune system disorder..