Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatic Cancer.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Published: March 31

I am a 56-year-old female diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December of 2006. I had a Whipple procedure in January of 2007 and began chemotherapy in April of 2007. Since then I have been on and off chemotherapy because my CA 19-9 numbers continue to bounce around. My CT, bone and PET scans remain negative. I never underwent any radiation treatments. I keep myself very busy with my 11-year-old and 8-year-old sons, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, church group involvement, volunteering at the school and the local food pantry, taking on-line classes at the community college and just keeping up with my home and family. Attitude is everything. You have to keep planning and setting goals for the future..

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind." .