Enlarged Prostate - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Enlarged Prostate.
Please describe your experience with an enlarged prostate.

Published: June 10

I just wanted to say something positive about all this. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago with symptoms of frequent urination and feeling tired because of interrupted sleep. Because of my age he suggested a prostate exam, days later I was with a specialist and the week after that had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. I checked the videos on google to see what was involved (don't do that), and I read about recovery, etc. I am here to tell you that it was not as dramatic as I was led to believe, I had a couple of pain killers, nurses insisted, I didn't feel I needed them. I got home Thursday and surgery was Tuesday. Okay, I am tired but I have been sitting around in a hospital. Tonight I sleep in my own bed, no pain killers and glad that I have done it. I am still waiting for the cancer test results which will be due in a few days. Guys, get checked and get the surgery done. So far as I can tell I am one of the lucky ones, but I also think that is due to the surgeon who insisted I keep the catheter in for two days. Good luck with your treatment..

I had an enlarged prostate and after many tests and biopsy it turned out to be Gleason 6 cancer, so I had it removed. Now I am dealing with incontinence..