Candidiasis (Yeast Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Candidiasis (Yeast Infection, Candida).
What caused your yeast infection?

Published: June 02

My husband got an internal candida infection in his 20s. It was caused by being over-treated with antibiotics as a child. He was treated with nystatin powder orally (8 times a day) for a year and a low carb, low yeast diet. He got well, but has had several relapses in the last 38 years. His doctor died and we had to find another doctor to write the prescription. We are currently in another relapse. It is awful. We hope he responds soon..

As I got older, I would get a severe yeast infection with almost any antibiotic I took. I am large breasted and would have heat rash in the summer and end up with yeast infections there too. This year I was diagnosed with COPD and the doctor gave me a breathing disk. I followed the directions about mouth care to prevent thrush, but after only 3-4 days of using the meds, I had thrush. Then I developed a roaring case of vaginal yeast and under the tummy fold. Topical creams never seemed to work. The doctor always has to give me Diflucan and sometimes it takes two doses. I worked as a nurse for almost 40 years and had often wondered if I wasn't exposed to something from my patients, but nothing has ever showed up in my blood work..