Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis.
Please describe your experience with Colitis.

I am a 57 year old female diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was formally diagnosed with collageneous colitis 3 years ago, but have had symptoms for more than 15 years. I am currently under control and the only thing that really works for me when I have a relapse is Entocort and a wheat free/gluten diet. I have not been diagnosed with Celiac’s disease, but believe I am intolerant to wheat and gluten. To keep myself stable I stay totally away from wheat and gluten. I make my own yogurt and eat that daily. I have learned that there are many things that have hidden gluten and it is important to educate yourself concerning this. The diet has you eliminate all carbohydrates initially but once stable, you can add back rice and non-wheat/gluten foods into your diet. The stricter you are the better you will feel and recover. Good luck!.

I’ve just been to the doctors with excruciating abdominal pain, the only way I could describe the pain was when I had an ectopic pregnancy. The doctor said it is colitis. If the tablets didn’t work within 3 hours I had to go straight to the hospital, this kind of confused me so now I have to wait. It’s been going on for 2 days. I am very drained the more I try to move the more pain I get. When I press in the area it is tender. I don’t know what kind it is, but my husband had a similar pain a few days ago and now I have it. We both had Chinese this weekend, not long after he was in pain and doubled up with abdominal pain in one area and now I am too. I’m wondering could it be connected to what we both ate..