Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments).
Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Published: December 29

I had been on an antibiotic for dental work shortly before I began experiencing severe cramping and bloody diarrhea. Tests for C. difficile came back negative and after losing 10 lb. in two weeks and given several IVs in the doctor's office, I was referred to a gastroenterologist. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I am on two medications (one permanently). My cramping and diarrhea have cleared up and I am starting to taper off the steroid I was prescribed. I had been in excellent health prior to this and because I don't know what caused the initial flare up, am always scared that it will happen again. Good luck to all that are struggling with colitis..

By the time I was 17, I'd been diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis. I've had those awful barium enemas, sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies, had hemorrhoids removed and polyps cut out, and felt as though I'd spent half my life in the bathroom. I've been free of all that, and doing very well for the past 12 years. I'm in my mid-60s. My situation began to improve about 20 years ago, when I took control of my diet and really started to pay attention to my body. I learned I could not eat a lot of sweets, especially not ice cream, but any sugary sweets caused constipation. Dairy and red meat, fatty meats, processed meats, all caused constipation, and produced mucus in my stool. Certain types of vegetables and fruits were off limits. White bread was the enemy. As I became aware of their effects, and began to read about them, I realized these were things I needed to eliminate from my diet. Today, I eat only chicken and fish, and rarely, lean pork loin roasted in the oven. Lentils and pinto beans are my friends! I avoid gluten. I can eat yogurt and cottage cheese and no more than 1/2 cup of 2 percent milk. I just avoid anything with nitrates or nitrites. Oh, and no distilled alcohol. Just a little wine once in a great while. My regimen is hot water and lemon juice every morning, Metamucil, and probiotics daily, ideally at the same time every day. No white bread, or white rice. Only brown rice and sprouted whole grain wheat bread. I try to limit bread to one slice, three or four times a week. But even after changing my diet, I had a lot of room to improve. Vitamins, exercise, and drinking enough water are all part of my program. I can't stress enough how important daily exercise is. So water, fiber, probiotics, exercise, diet, and the last thing, vitamins..