Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis.
Please describe your experience with Colitis.

By the time I was 17, I'd been diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis. I've had those awful barium enemas, sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies, had hemorrhoids removed and polyps cut out, and felt as though I'd spent half my life in the bathroom. I've been free of all that, and doing very well for the past 12 years. I'm in my mid-60s. My situation began to improve about 20 years ago, when I took control of my diet and really started to pay attention to my body. I learned I could not eat a lot of sweets, especially not ice cream, but any sugary sweets caused constipation. Dairy and red meat, fatty meats, processed meats, all caused constipation, and produced mucus in my stool. Certain types of vegetables and fruits were off limits. White bread was the enemy. As I became aware of their effects, and began to read about them, I realized these were things I needed to eliminate from my diet. Today, I eat only chicken and fish, and rarely, lean pork loin roasted in the oven. Lentils and pinto beans are my friends! I avoid gluten. I can eat yogurt and cottage cheese and no more than 1/2 cup of 2 percent milk. I just avoid anything with nitrates or nitrites. Oh, and no distilled alcohol. Just a little wine once in a great while. My regimen is hot water and lemon juice every morning, Metamucil, and probiotics daily, ideally at the same time every day. No white bread, or white rice. Only brown rice and sprouted whole grain wheat bread. I try to limit bread to one slice, three or four times a week. But even after changing my diet, I had a lot of room to improve. Vitamins, exercise, and drinking enough water are all part of my program. I can't stress enough how important daily exercise is. So water, fiber, probiotics, exercise, diet, and the last thing, vitamins..

I have had collagenous colitis for 5 months. I am now suffering every day and taking at least 8 Imodium per day and breaking right through them. I was prescribed and was taking 3 Entocort tablets at one time, along with 2 Lomotil every 6 hours and still breaking through. I have absolutely no life because there is absolutely no warning. My doctor tells me it has nothing to do with what you eat. I now am being sent to a specialist and can't get in until November. I can't continue to live like this. I eat normally as my doctor says that this has nothing to do with what you eat. I am at my wits end..