Oral Herpes - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes.
What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

I had my first outbreak of oral herpes, one blister on my lip, a few weeks ago. I went to the doctor and tested positive for Herpes 1 antibodies. I contracted it sometime in the last year and a half. I've read that you typically break out shortly after the infection and that might have happened but it's typical for a lot of people to have very mild reactions. Looking back now there have been a few times where that area of my lip has tingled and felt weird but I always thought it was just dry lips. Until a few weeks ago I never blistered and even when it did it didn't look anything like the pictures I googled. I'm saying all of this so that other people might think twice about their symptoms and get tested. Not everyone gets multiple, awful sores. I'm also reading a lot on this board about taking Lysine. Up until the first antiviral drugs were developed in the 1980s doctors did prescribe it. But after many clinical trials there is no proof that lysine helps at all. Before anyone else writes 'but lysine keeps my outbreaks small,' consider that you might also be someone that doesn't react horribly to the virus. It might just be a coincidence. In fact constant use of it can hurt liver function. Talk to you doctor and see what he/she says but sticking to prescribed drugs is probably the best way to minimize outbreaks..

I have oral herpes but luckily I only get maybe 1 sore a year and that's it. But not as bad as everyone describes here. I've never taken anything for it either. Apparently most people have this..