Dental Abscess - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess.
Please describe your experience with dental abscess.

Published: April 04

I had a dental abscess treated today. It occurred rapidly (about 2 to 3 days) about a month after having an implant to replace an adjacent tooth. It took about an hour to anesthetize, drain, scrape and suture the infected area..

I endured an awful weekend with fever, pain and general malaise. This morning I noticed a white spot on my gum. I barely touched the spot with a needle and foul pus erupted. I got almost immediate relief from the pressure and pain. Later the fever subsided and I felt much better. I didn't know that what I had was a dental abscess. I fear I'm going to lose the tooth but I won't know for sure until I see my dentist. Draining the abscess may not have been the right thing to do so don't use my example as what should be done..