Sea Urchin Puncture - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dive Medicine: Sea Urchin Puncture Wound.
What was the treatment for your sea urchin puncture?

I was getting ready to snorkel in the lagoon in Bora Bora when a small wave hit me and knocked me over. My right hand landed on a spiny black sea urchin. The pain was significant. I pulled my hand out of the water only to see many long black spines embedded in my hand with blood oozing. I quickly went to the hotel front desk where they told me to immediately pee on it. I did that and the pain diminished immediately. They advised to do that several more times. In the meantime they put my hand in a pan of hot water, renewing it as it cooled down. Within 8 hours most of the spines had dissolved with just a black dot where the spine had been. There were two spines that entered on one side of the finger and exited the other. Those are still there five days later and are beginning to pus up. Now that I am home I will wash in hot water and put on bacitracin. Every single Polynesian that I told about my sea urchin encounter repeated the advice that pee was the best thing..