Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu).
How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

I came home with a backache and very tired! I tried to eat supper but only ate half of my supper! I got up at 3:00 am with a fever, pain in all my joints, diarrhea and felt like I had the flu! I was sick with diarrhea all day the next day and called the doctor. The doctor saw me the following day and said I had a gastro virus and to eat a bland diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, and drink a lot of liquids! I did but every time I ate I was on the toilet with cramping and diarrhea! I have had this gastroenteritis since this past Tuesday and it is Sunday and I am still crampy and in the bathroom all the time! It really is scaring me because I cannot hold anything! I don't know how long I should wait to go for other tests..

Published: December 22

I woke up 24 hours ago with nausea, dizziness and bad headache. I walked around a few minutes and then began throwing up. I would feel better after throwing up (severe, projectile), go back to bed and within 30 to 45 minutes it would start again. I had one episode of diarrhea. I went to the emergency room and was put on an IV and given anti-nausea medicine which helped my gastroenteritis immensely. I have never had an episode like this and the nausea was unbearable. I was sent home a few hours later with anti-diarrheal and anti- nausea medicine. Twenty four hours later I am still very tired but after drinking a fresh tender coconut I am feeling much better..