Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu).
How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Currently I'm still fighting the stomach flu which started 2 days ago. I'm able to keep some food and fluids down but I'm still not ready to eat a normal diet. My abdominal pain has not subsided yet, but with the help of Pepto-Bismol that has been helping a little to alleviate the pain. My cold sweats and nausea feeling has subsided to mild and I'm able to get up and out of bed. The last 48 hours was horrible. All I could do was drink a little fluid and sleep. The first night I threw-up constantly which led to the morning. I'm currently on antibiotics and I don't think that it is helping my stomach at all. I going to take myself off of the antibiotics until my abdomen pain subsides. I hope this helps. I forgot to mention that before this all happen I just had the flu shot the day before I came down with all of these symptoms. My Dr thinks I was already infected with the flu. Good luck..

Published: April 15

Wow, mine started with diarrhea the first day and that was all. I didn’t go to work because my stomach was so upset but I was able to eat so I did. That was the wrong thing to do, as I found out at 3am the next morning. I woke up with a terrible stomach ache and thought I had to use the restroom, so while I’m sitting on the commode trying to defecate, I start throwing up and I can’t stop. I've had this before so I called an ambulance right away. I threw up in the hospital while waiting to be discharged (the doctor felt I was okay enough to go home and take a prescription drug) so the doctor changed his mind and gave me Zofran through an IV. I felt so much better until they took the IV out and I waited for a ride home. While I was sitting in the waiting area for my ride, I threw up again and was in severe pain. I've been drinking water and a little ginger ale and I feel much better now.Although Zofran does make you drowsy-ughh I hate this!.