Strep Throat - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
Please describe your experience with strep throat.

I am 37 years old, diagnosed with strep throat! What seemed to be a weekend getaway with the wife, and little cousins blowing up balloons with laughter turned out to be a terrible weekend. Strep throat for eight days with enormous pain. I had unbearable throat pain with ravaged tonsils and fever. It beat me down. If one truly acquires real strep throat, yikes! It may seem like it will never end, however thankfully there is light at the end! Humbling experience..

Published: June 09

Strep throat is one of the most painful experiences I am currently having. At first I just thought I had a sore throat, but when anti-bacterial cough lollies, and various gargles didn’t give me any relief I went to the doctor and found out my pain was strep. I experienced body aches, and joint pains, lethargy, blocked ears, acid taste in the back of my throat, mucus build up in the back of my throat, which I couldn’t clear because it was too painful to cough, I couldn’t swallow because of the pain it caused and I couldn’t eat because of the pain it caused. It is the most painful throat I have ever had. I was also vomiting up mucus, and had loss of appetite. Nasty thing to get, but it’s been about 12 hours since I started antibiotics, and my throat is still very sore, but I have noticed that it feels a little better. I am hoping I will wake up tomorrow feeling much better..