Strep Throat - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
Tell us your experience with strep throat.

I just got over a horrible case of strep throat. I am 42, and apparently I am in the 5 to 10 percent of adults who get a terrible case of it. It hit me like a freight train all at once at night. My throat swelled horribly, lymph nodes too, and was red. I couldn’t swallow. My whole body ached 10/10 and the worst part was the headache. I could barely move. I got to the doctor right away and test came right back as positive for strep. They put me on penicillin and by the 3rd dose swelling in throat started to subside. Aches subsided about 12 hours later but, 2.5 days later, I still had headaches off and on. The odd thing was, in the beginning I didn't have a fever, but after swelling in throat started to subside, then I started to get a fever. Highest was 101 and fluctuated for 2.5 days from 99.5 to 101. My symptoms are pretty much gone now (3.5 days on penicillin), but I feel like I was run over by a truck. Nasty experience..

I have had a sore throat for 3 days. I have a large white spot on one side of my tonsils. I cannot even eat, it hurts so much. The doctor said he is not sure if it is strep but he gave me antibiotics anyway. I do not have a fever and have not had strep in 30 years..