Strep Throat - Home Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Published: June 28

It is not a remedy but I've found that eating cooked pasta, plain without anything on it other than olive oil, is one of the easiest things to eat with strep. Soups and liquids hurt me more as I think they seep into any pus sores that are in the throat. And like my thick saliva, soups can be too thick to go down quickly, whereas pasta in olive oil just slips right down! I added some chopped up wafer thin ham just for a treat! Also green tea with some manuka honey stirred in, nothing beats manuka honey for the healing process of any disease or illness, and is quite soothing if you can get some liquids down into you..

I was living in Las Vegas enduring a fair amount of second hand smoke and working in retail where I did notice a monthly spraying of insecticide inside building. I developed a severe sore throat that made it almost impossible to swallow and even talking was tough. The pain was horrible and my throat and little tongue was swollen. This was going into the tenth week. I went to clinic twice during first few weeks and was given antibiotics for strep the first time and stronger antibiotics second time. It did not work. I did a lot of reading on forums and tried a variety of remedies to no success. I then tried a remedy with regular Listerine, flavored does not work. I bought a large bottle of Listerine, gargling four or five times every half hour all day long. I let the Listerine go down back of throat with my head tilted back. I would let it go as far down as possible with me being able to bring it back to my mouth. You will feel it gathering phlegm and mine was dark in color. I let it go back and forth repeatedly with every mouthful. I kept doing this for a few days and after about 3 or four large bottles the pain was gone never to return again. I sincerely hope this advice can help someone like it did me..