Strep Throat - Home Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

I was living in Las Vegas enduring a fair amount of second hand smoke and working in retail where I did notice a monthly spraying of insecticide inside building. I developed a severe sore throat that made it almost impossible to swallow and even talking was tough. The pain was horrible and my throat and little tongue was swollen. This was going into the tenth week. I went to clinic twice during first few weeks and was given antibiotics for strep the first time and stronger antibiotics second time. It did not work. I did a lot of reading on forums and tried a variety of remedies to no success. I then tried a remedy with regular Listerine, flavored does not work. I bought a large bottle of Listerine, gargling four or five times every half hour all day long. I let the Listerine go down back of throat with my head tilted back. I would let it go as far down as possible with me being able to bring it back to my mouth. You will feel it gathering phlegm and mine was dark in color. I let it go back and forth repeatedly with every mouthful. I kept doing this for a few days and after about 3 or four large bottles the pain was gone never to return again. I sincerely hope this advice can help someone like it did me..

On 2/23 at 8 pm there was sudden onset of very sore throat, low grade fever and chills. My treatment was elderberry-honey syrup, garlic, frankincense, and Thieves oil on feet. I also gave 10K IU D3 every 3 to 4 waking hours, 1k mg vitamin C 2 to 3 times/day, lots of water and no processed sugar. On 2/24 the fever was around 101-102 with head ache, body aches and white patches on tonsils. The patient slept most of day, approximately from noon to 7 pm, waking to drink and treat with all the above, plus probiotic, oregano oil (topical on feet and oral two drops in capsules with grape seed oil). The patient has been offered fruit, broth, etc., but has rejected though drinking well. Fever broke around 8 pm. Hopeful that this is the beginning of the end. I had similar experience with my 10 year old a couple of weeks ago..