Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Published: June 02

My pain started after doing a lot of heavy lifting at the start of this year. I could no longer turn over in bed especially on my left side but the pain started under my right ribs. This gradually worsened and I thought I had bad gastritis. My doctor diagnosed costochondritis. I am still having tests. It is so painful I cannot sit upright for long or lift anything heavy. Pain goes right through to my back and all over my upper torso. I have to take painkillers as soon as I wake and any movement makes it worse. I cannot take anti-inflammatories so this makes it worse..

My pain started this past Monday. I woke up in excruciating pain, it felt like a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they ran tests on me. One doctor gave me a gastro intestinal cocktail; which did not work. The other doctor that came in asked me if that helped and I said no. He then gave me a shot of Dilaudid, which made my whole body heavy to relieve the pain. Then he told me I had inflammation in the chest wall also known as costochondritis. It is now a week later and I am still having the pains. The doctor prescribed me with Ibuprofen 800 and Percocet. He told me to use heating pads. I am glad that there are others out there with this..