Costochondritis - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
Please describe your experience with costochondritis.

Several years ago I began showing symptoms of costochondritis but doctors in the emergency room (ER) and general practice could not diagnose. Then 3 years ago, while working in a restaurant kitchen, the symptoms became much more severe. Often looking like a heart-attack, I would lose the use of my arm, my jaw would tighten, I'd feel a stab in my chest, and fall to the ground. Eventually it took me out of my career. Someone gently poking me in the chest could send me to the floor. After 18 months of MRIs, x-rays, heart monitors, and blood tests my doctors decided it was costochondritis. They told me to rest and take anti-inflammatories. I was told that was the only help possible. Since then I have been fearful of exercising my upper body. Most symptoms have subsided but again I've had to lose out a lot on my career and life style..

I was just recently diagnosed with costochondritis yesterday afternoon, 11/11/2015. I was having bad chest pains while I was at work. Next day they were still there but now my left arm was going numb/tingly. The next morning I went to see my doctor but she was closed for the holiday. I didn't think it was too serious to go to the emergency room (ER) so I went to a Minute Clinic. She then told me to go to the ER immediately or she would call 911. When I arrived at the ER they started some tests then let me sit for a few hours which is when I realized it wasn't anything to serious. Later they diagnosed me with an inflamed sternum and some arthritis around the joint. Not sure if raking caused this or running on my treadmill. All I do know is I always get the gender specific weird things. This is just another thing I will have to live with and it is awful. The pain is terrible when it escalates and I will have to try a heat pad. I hope it works. Good luck to you all as well..