Costochondritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
What were the symptoms of your costochondritis?

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in 2013. The pain is under my left breast behind the breast to the side of the breast under the armpit and around to the middle of the back. When it flares up it is very, very painful. Usually I am given antibiotics and a Medrol pack which seems to ease the pain but it truly never goes away. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia so I have learned to live with it. Just got to take it easy for a while and take what is prescribed to you and Motrin or Aleve. I also use ice packs and a heating pad depending on the weather outside. Cold aggravates it in the winter also. So I get most of my flare ups in winter. Thinking about all of you who have it. I sure know the pain..

Published: April 26

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in 2008 after many visits to many different doctors who kept telling me I had an ulcer. I even rushed myself of to the emergency room and had x-rays and ECGs done, thankfully no heart condition was found. However my pain generally starts in my left breast and within an hour has moved down to my left lower ribs so severe that I still think it is a heart attack. I take an anti-inflammatory medicine which soothes it a bit but I have this attack 1 or 2 times a week and feel I can't go through life with this pain anymore, surely there must be a cure!.