Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI Scan) - For Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
Please describe how magnetic resonance imaging (MRI scan) has helped in your diagnosis.

Postpartum, I encountered body numbness without the ability to move my entire left side except my face. They sent me to see a neurologist first. That doctor said I am sure it is nothing, but let’s do a MRI. Through this, I was diagnosed with a very large arterial venous malformation in my brain that was inoperable related to its location. This would never have been diagnosed without a MRI, and I probably wouldn’t be here today to tell you..

I was having serious pain down my leg and into my foot. At first, I was treated with steroids, as the doctor thought that I might have an inflammation of my sciatic nerve. The pain persisted and I started to have weakness in my toes. I was examined by another doctor who detected the weakness. She ordered a MRI of my spine. The MRI showed that a ruptured disc had broken, and fragments of the disc had migrated into my sacrum. Surgery did remove the fragments and prevented further damage but could not undo the damage already done to my nerves. Without the MRI, it probably would have been impossible to diagnose this problem..