Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids.
Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

I was told I had a small uterine fibroid but didn't have to worry about it. However, I had cramping, back pain, the feeling of needing to urinate, and anemia. I was given iron pills for anemia and birth control pills to decrease bleeding. Unfortunately, I was in the small percentage of people who didn't tolerate iron by mouth. (I experienced nausea and vomiting.) So, I ended up getting iron via an IV. I think the birth control pills "fed" the uterine fibroids, and I ended up getting an emergency myomectomy because the fibroids caused me to hemorrhage. The doctor thought the fibroid was much smaller than it was, but she didn't know until she operated. My advice is to take care of them and not just take pain pills. I ended up on disability because I was so weak from anemia. However, after surgery, I never had any more cramps, back pain, the bleeding was miniscule, and I was like a new person. It took three months to recover though, because I had been anemic..

I am a 39-year-old black female. I have had problems with bleeding since I was in my early 20s. Birth control helped with the heavy bleeding. I became pregnant in April of 2009, and I had a miscarriage at seven-and-a-half weeks. In September of this year, I was told that the uterine fibroids had returned, but just in the last two months, the pain has increased. I will be celebrating my one-year anniversary this month, and my husband and I are still trying to have a baby. So, I really don't want to have surgery. I am going to schedule a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) this month to determine where the uterine fibroids are and if they are blocking me from conceiving. .