Menopause - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Menopause.
What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

I'm 37 and am having weird symptoms that I believe to be menopause. I am frustrated at the lack of straight-forward information. For instance, why are they not doing more in-depth studies of progesterone cream, or bioidentical hormones? If men went through menopause, I'd bet they'd have all this figured out by now.....

I started "the change" when I turned 40. Bear in mind, I only had spotting during my menses, but also suffered cramping so bad the first day, I was on prescription pain pills to be able to function. Even after the birth of my only child at age 32, I continued to only spot, but no more cramps. I have NOT had any surgery to remove my female parts or tie my tubes, everything is still in tact. Once I had started the change, I went through what my doctor called "classic" text book symptoms. These included: night sweats, hot flashes, irregular periods (not every month), mood swings, increase/decrease in libido, weight changes, etc.. My doctor told me that once I quit having my menses for a full 12 months, I would be "completed" through the change. He was right, but I still have the occasional hot flashes. He said that can happen and may or may not continue the rest of my life. HE SAID EVERY WOMAN IS DIFFERENT WHEN IT COMES TO MENOPAUSE, AND THAT EACH ONE WILL EXPERIENCE A COMBINATION OF SYMPTOMS. He also SUGGESTED (mind you)that if I could deal with going through menopause and afterwards WITHOUT HRT (hormone therapy), I would be better off without it. SO I CHOSE NOT TO TAKE IT. Not every doctor would agree with that, but I believe he is right. I am now 53 yrs old, and my bone density is still the same as it was when I had my first mammogram at age 39. I take 1200 mg of Calcium with Vitamin D daily, and also go for a walk 3 to 4 times a week. I still have the occasional hot flash, but I can live with that. Not having my periods anymore is so wonderful! Menopause ROCKS!!!.