Pulmonary Edema - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Edema.
What caused your pulmonary edema?

I experienced pulmonary edema from breathing in toxins like nitrogen oxide at work..

I have history of coronary artery disease (CAD) in 1992, and had coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), and 5 stents. Ten years later, more stents, and 5 years later another stent. Angina started with exertion 5 years ago, along with shortness of breath (SOB). I am an active 81 year old, still working, and in the past 6 months have noted leg and ankle swelling, increasing fatigue, rapid weight gain, increasing angina and SOB. The cardiologist said there was no evidence of congestive heart failure (CHF) because test was 72. I thought I used little salt, but the week before the pulmonary edema, my salt intake was dramatically increased. I awoke at 6 am with angina and SOB and coughing up frothy bloody sputum. Dyspnea increased and before we left for the emergency room (ER) 6 blocks away, I felt like I was smothering and gasping for air. I crashed at the ER door, passed out and later was told I had only a pulse when intubation was done. No myocardial infarction. I was in ICU for 3 days, and 3 more days in hospital. I came home only to have 3 more trips to ER for hypotensive spells where I nearly passed out. Today, 1 month later I am without symptoms but for SOB on walking and recurring mild angina. I am a physician. I have been put on the CardioMEMS program..