Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?

To be honest, I don't think there is any guaranteed solution to PMS. I take Midol PMS Extra Strength for a few days before menstruating when I feel most irritable, and the result is a sort of numbness and overall "blah" feeling. I feel like my reactions are dull to say the least, and actually quite depressing because I'm a rather outgoing, loud, and in-your-face kind of person normally. It must also be noted that I am currently on birth control (Tricycline 28)and have been for eight years..

I have experienced PMS most of my life. I am a perfectly rational person until a few days before my period. Symptoms include up to 1kg of increased weight (which disappears after menstruation) food cravings and acne. However the unhappiness, over-sensitivity and anxiety symptoms have had the potential to upset my life most. Factors that make it worse for me are: Overworking, processed foods high in salt and sugar, too much alcohol, and not being able to exercise daily. Things that help me are: Keeping track of where I am so I can try to control those things that make it worse. Whatever makes me relax like having a bath, keeping certain music in the car, simple stretching and breathing, but most importantly keeping a regular pattern of exercise and healthy eating. I have tried several of the recommended treatments that at times I have thought may have worked, but sadly I have found no magic pill. Experience has enabled me to anticipate and control most of the time but I still experience the symptoms and I do not think it is an easy thing to live with overall..